Caring for the South East Suburbs | Phone: (07) 3393 4311 |
The Wynnum Central State School site was purchased by Brisbane City Council from the Queensland Government in 2012. The existing heritage red brick building has been refurbished into a community centre to be known as the Wynnum Community Centre. Adjacent on the western side of the site is a new commercial precinct and will include Woolworths and two speciality stores, a new library, car park and green space/park to remain as open space for the community.
The development of a landscaping design for the park area, located between the new commercial precinct and the new community centre, is currently underway. The park area will be home to two relocated trees, a 120-year old Port Jackson fig tree and a bottle tree. One of the key features of the new park will be the historical cannon located at the former Wynnum Library site. The park will include a path between Florence and Charlotte streets, seating and lighting. Council will also install feature lighting to highlight the Port Jackson fig tree. The cannon located outside the current Wynnum Library is one of 12 gifted to Queensland from Queen Victoria and arrived in Queensland in 1862. These cannons are relics from the Napoleonic Wars between 1803 and 1850. Due to its historical significance, the cannon will be relocated to the former Wynnum Central State School site.